Tuesday, February 7, 2012

first post

So I am new at this.  Never thought I would be a "blog person", but since I am so far away from my friends and family now, I thought it would be a good way to share what's going on in my life.  Here's what has happened since Aaron and I got married.
We left the next morning to go on our honeymoon.  We stayed at the Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana Dominican Republic.  The resort was beautiful, the beaches were beautiful, the people and the service were great, however the food was terrible and we both got food poisoning.  It was a bummer, but we did get to do some really cool excursions with the cash we got for the wedding.   We did a spa excursion where we went out on this boat in the middle of the carribean sea and got massages and other random spa treatments. So relaxing :) Then another day we went swimming with stingrays and sharks.  That was really cool, a little freaky, but cool.
As soon as we got back to Kentucky we had to finish packing up all my stuff and the wedding gifts, and we left for Dallas the next morning.  With the exception of the honeymoon week, I felt like my life was pure chaos for a good month.  We got to the apartment late that night, and started to move all my stuff in the next day.  We were very lucky that my mom and Karen came down to help us.  We finally have everything settled. Oh, and for those of you that may have wondered, Bosley was very good in the car!  He got drugged with a healthy dose of benadryl and slept almost the whole drive :)
We're living in an area of Dallas called Las Colinas.  It's about 5 miles outside of downtown Dallas.  I love it.  It's a really cool area, not downtown, but there is still a ton to do, all kinds of good restaurants and shops right by the apartment. The other good thing is Aaron's office is so close, less than a mile away.
 The apartment complex is right by a lake that has sidewalk all the way around, so it's great to take Bosley for a walk or run, and then the lake has these canals off of it that run all around the Las Colinas area.  It's really pretty, especially at night when all the buildings are lit up.
Since I'm not working yet, I've been cooking a lot and trying new recipes so I thought that I would share them here.  Superbowl Sunday, we went to a party and I made buffalo chicken potato skins. Normally I'm not big on potato skins, but these looked awesome so  I decided to go with it.  Will be making them again!  They were delicious, I think Aaron ate 4 or 5.  They really weren't that hard.  I used shredded rotisserie chicken (i love to use it for anything i can, so easy) and frank's buffalo sauce instead of the recipe they used .  I love frank's. I also served them with ranch instead of blue cheese dressing. Here's the link http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/02/buffalo-chicken-potato-skins.html
Then last night I made white chicken enchiladas, also delicious.  Again I used rotisserie chicken for the filling.  I also modified the recipe a bit, which I tend to do a lot.  I didn't have green chillies in the cabinet so I poured verde salsa over the top after putting the sour cream sauce on.  I also put a little verde salsa in the filling.  They were delicious, the sour cream sauce tasted like a restaurants version.  I made mexican rice and black beans for the side.  Will definitely use this one again.  Here's the link http://www.letsdishrecipes.com/2011/02/white-chicken-enchiladas-with-green.html

No comments:

Post a Comment